Thursday 19 April 2012

Oh Marathon Canoe – How I Miss You!



Having lived in the USA for 6 years, if you ask me what I miss most from my time there, right near the top of the list (after my friends of course) would be marathon canoe racing!  In fact each of my summer visits back to the USA have involved racing marathon canoes – easily my favorite out of the many boats that I have paddled.  Marathon canoes are a far cry from their “traditional Canadian canoe” cousins, these are lightweight, carbon fiber racing boats.


Photo by Blaise Rhodes - Mitch and I racing in the General Clinton canoe race 2011.
  
I recently got to relive some of my canoeing (and kayking) memories when I chatted with Alix from Endurance Racing Magazine.  So in order to show you that I’m not just all about riding, running and swimming, here is the article written by Alix: http://enduranceracingmagazine.com/?p=523

I would love to paddle one of these boats here in New Zealand!  I wonder what the logistics of getting one of these shipped here would be? 

And remember: if you ain’t rubbin’, you ain’t racin’


 Photo by Paul Grubber (I'm on the very left, there was plenty of rubbin' in this race - especially at the start with something like 200 boats all headed to do a U-turn around a bouy about 200m after the start)

3 comments:

  1. Your latest post on marathon canoeing brings back some great memories. Unfinished business... we still need to do the 420 km Texas Water Safari someday. That canoe still has one more epic race left in her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHH YES! Texas Water Safari. Can't wait to do that race. And think that I might have the answer to the lighting question. I think your trusty old canoe deserves that sort of an epic race as a send off to retirement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly and I are busy training in our trusty canoe for the 50th Clinton as we speak!!! Loved the article also.
    C'line

    ReplyDelete